From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: cron.* and modern cron implementations
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2019 00:27:41
1 On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 7:05 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > someone brought this up on the chat channel today, so I'm bringing it
4 > here to ask for information.
5 >
6 > Is there a reason we still use run-parts and the
7 > /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly} structure to run repeating cron jobs?
8 >
9 > From what I read in the chat earlier, it sounds like the modern crons
10 > might be able to handle this without that structure, but I'm not sure.
13 Are you proposing getting rid of run-parts? Or are you proposing
14 getting rid of /etc/cron.*?
15
16 run-parts is part of debianutils, and ca-certificates apparently uses
17 it, so trying to purge that might not go far. I don't think it is
18 directly in @system so it would go away on its own if it wasn't used.
19 Some of the cron implementations also use it, and some don't, and each
20 one can pull it in as needed I suppose.
21
22 I don't think you can get rid of the cron.* directories, since that is
23 the least-common-denominator way for packages to install scripts for
24 cron to run. If we wanted to do something else we'd probably need
25 some kind of eclass that knows how to install a cron script for any of
26 the various cron implementations out there. We can't really even just
27 go to generic cron syntax for some kind of crontab.d handler because I
28 don't think that is standardized for tasks that are to run if their
29 scheduled time is missed.
30
31 I suspect that maintainers of cron implementations that don't require
32 run-parts probably already avoid using it.
33
34 Maybe you had something specific in mind that I missed?
37 Rich