From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] News item: GCC 6 defaults to USE="pie ssp"
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 18:38:19
1 Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 >> For instance, you cannot even compile the kernel without special
5 >> patches (which disable pie) if you use a gcc which default-enables
6 >> pie.
7 >
8 > Now I'm curious. Wouldn't that also affect the hardened gcc?
9
10 I would guess so, but I did not try:
11 I didn't use hardened gcc since years, because
12
13 (a) I had to switch profiles too often because of forced pie which
14 used to break compilation for almost every second package (some
15 years ago).
16
17 (b) -fstack-protector-all slowed down my system too much, especially
18 since the security improvement over -fstack-protector-strong
19 (or with older gcc versions -fstack-protector) is rather negligible.
20
21 > I've never had any issues compiling vanilla-sources
22
23 The experience I had reported was with the first non-beta versions of
24 gcc-6[pie] from the hardened overlay and several (at that time current)
25 versions of hardened-sources.
26
27 I retried now with gcc-7.1.0-r1[pie] and current gentoo-sources, and
28 it turned out that the issue does no longer exist.
29
30 I do not know whether the reason is due to the change
31 hardened-sources -> gentoo-sources, due to an upstream kernel fix,
32 or due to a fix in the pie support of gcc (compared to the first
33 gcc-6 versions).