From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are tags just sets?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:18:24
On 26 June 2011 19:02, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
> Here's a completely different way of doing tags: > > First, standardise sets. We probably want to go with a format along the > lines of: > >    eapi = 4 >    description = Monkeys > >    dev-monkey/howler >    dev-monkey/spider >    >=dev-monkey/spanky-2.0 >    dev-monkey/squirrel > > where eapi has to be on the first line. >
I initially didn't like the idea somewhat, but then I figured the amount of impact and retooling required to make this work is virtually zero, its not complicated, and its text based. So why don't we just implement it, even if it sucks balls, the amount of downsides it has are zero really, it doesn't affect how portage currently works at all, so if we prove it to suck or decide it needs replacing, we can throw it out and put something else in with very little pain. So +1. ( Yes, I understand the concerns of Yet Another format, I myself would suggest JSON for a plethora of reasons were it up to me, and all though it is /mostly/ just a list of package specs, those "first lines" with the = in them make this more "format" than just a text file, but I think we should see whether or not the concept works FIRST before debating whether or not we've bikeshedded the right format to put it in ). -- Kent perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3, 3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"