From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are tags just sets?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:18:24
1 On 26 June 2011 19:02, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Here's a completely different way of doing tags:
3 >
4 > First, standardise sets. We probably want to go with a format along the
5 > lines of:
6 >
7 >    eapi = 4
8 >    description = Monkeys
9 >
10 >    dev-monkey/howler
11 >    dev-monkey/spider
12 >    >=dev-monkey/spanky-2.0
13 >    dev-monkey/squirrel
14 >
15 > where eapi has to be on the first line.
18 I initially didn't like the idea somewhat, but then I figured the
19 amount of impact and retooling required to make this work is virtually
20 zero, its not complicated, and its text based.
21
22 So why don't we just implement it, even if it sucks balls, the amount
23 of downsides it has are zero really, it doesn't affect how portage
24 currently works at all, so if we prove it to suck or decide it needs
25 replacing, we can throw it out and put something else in with very
26 little pain.
27
28 So +1.
29
30 ( Yes, I understand the concerns of Yet Another format, I myself would
31 suggest JSON for a plethora of reasons were it up to me, and all
32 though it is /mostly/ just a list of package specs, those "first
33 lines" with the = in them make this more "format" than just a text
34 file, but I think we should see whether or not the concept works FIRST
35 before debating whether or not we've bikeshedded the right format to
36 put it in ).
40 Kent
41
42 perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,