From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: haskell@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: large amount of unmaintained dev-haskell/* package
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 22:23:48
1 > On 23 Jul 2022, at 13:34, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, 2022-07-23 at 02:49 +0100, Sam James wrote:
4 >> # Sam James <sam@g.o> (2022-07-22)
5 >> # Monolithic mask for dev-haskell/* packages which have no reverse dependencies,
6 >> # are broken, or severely out of date. The aim is to have the Haskell overlay
7 >> # (::haskell) be the place for development packages and only have packages
8 >> # needed for end-user applications in ::gentoo, as the status who has
9 >> # proven to be unsustainable. More up-to-date versions of these packages
10 >> # are available in ::haskell.
11 >> # Removal on 2022-08-22.
12 >> ...
13 >> dev-haskell/hakyll
14 >> ...
15 >> sci-mathematics/agda
18 > Those two are (relatively) popular end-user applications.
19 >
20 > I'm sure this came up already, but just in case it didn't: we largely
21 > have two non-developers maintaining the ::haskell overlay, and they've
22 > been doing so since slyfox's retirement. Since there's an ongoing
23 > thread about recruitment... has anyone thought about letting them do
24 > their work in ::gentoo instead?
28 The two people you refer to (solpeth and hololeap) both warmly
29 welcomed this move and endorse it. It'd be great to have them as developers
30 and I've offered to help mentor them, as have others.
31
32 This is a similar style cleanup to what we did with OCaml / dev-ml/*.
33
34 If people want to keep some packages, we can talk about that,
35 sure - but help would be needed to look after their dependencies.