From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 14:57:07
1 On Wednesday 08 August 2001 23:42, you wrote:
2 > Daniel Robbins wrote: [Wed Aug 8 2001, 4:31:10PM EDT]
3 >
4 > > gentoo-ebuild is for submitting/getting feedback on ebuild submissions.
5 >
6 > Could somebody run over the ebuild submission process for me? I hear
7 > people mentioning "incoming", is that on an ftp server? How should
8 > extra files be bundled with the .ebuild?
9 >
10 > Thanks,
11 > Aron
12 1. All submissions/discussion should be on the new "gentoo-ebuild" mailing
13 list.
14
15 2. To submit, post to the list with the ebuild and any patches etc. attached.
16 Note: don't attach the digests, we don't need them.
17
18 3. Give as much info as you can. Preferrably, the ebuild's name in the
19 subject line, and a short description of the package and any knwn problems
20 etc. in the body.
21
22 4. I (Dan Armak) am in charge of managing the ebuilds. I check the list at
23 least twice a day (usually much more often), reply with a cursory message and
24 add the files to incoming. The incoming dir isn't on ftp, it's in our cvs. I
25 also add a todo item to dev-wiki (look it up on www.gentoo.org if you don't
26 know what it is). the developers see the todo, and one who's interested can
27 "grab" it, verify the ebuild works, and add it to the main portage tree in
28 cvs.
29
30 If there are no problems with the ebuild (and sometimes if there are) you may
31 hear nothing further from the developers, check dev-wiki to see the progress
32 made. Eventually it will be handled.
35 Happy coding!
40 Dan Armak
41 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team