From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Going against co-maintainer's wishes (ref. bug 412697)
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 16:14:42
11 > > > > > I believe it is time to reconsider this now that systemd support is spread
12 > > > > > all over the tree.
13 > > > >
14 > > > > I don't think so. If upstream ships it, we will install it. Otherwise we
15 > > > > don't. Most Gentoo devs (as well as users) do not use systemd, nor have it
16 > > > > installed. I don't think it can be expected of us to test and maintain
17 > > > > systemd related patches.
18 > > >
19 > > > I expect this to change in the future. We can't keep denying that a new init
20 > > > system exists and we need to at least provide a limited support for it (even
21 > > > though we can't test it ourselves).
22 > >
23 > > WTF man? No, we do not _need_ to add support for an alternative init system
24 > > that is so aggressively opposed to what we stand for. But since you pushed
25 > > this change through against my wishes, I will remove myself as maintainer of
26 > > this package.
27 > You seem to have ignored all the discussions in -dev where it was agreed to
28 > install systemd files without even a useflag.
29
30 I haven't ignored the discussion. We agreed to install systemd files
31 IF they are shipped by upstream.
32
33 > So really, if you disagree
34 > this is your problem since the community agreed to do it.
35
36 Unless I am mistaken, we did NOT agree anywhere that Gentoo
37 maintainers MUST add systemd support when upstream does not ship such
38 files.
39
40 And even if a few vocal members want that, that does not constitute
41 community agreement. As far as I'm concerned, if it is not in the
42 devmanual, or a council decision, it is not official policy. In that
43 case individual package maintainers can do as they wish.
44
45 > It is also NOT documented anywhere that Gentoo supports *ONLY* openrc.
46 > Just grep for "systemd_dounit" in the tree and see how many pakcages do that.
47
48 So? That does not mean that as package maintainer I have to accept a
49 patch to support a non-default init system. Some maintainers may
50 choose to do so, others may choose not to.
51
52 > It is very sad to be threatened over and over. If I do something then X
53 > people will be unhappy. If I do it Y people will be unhappy. So in this case
54 > I did what we agreed to do in the mailing list.
55
56 We did not agree on this. Package maintainers may do as they wish for
57 their own packages.
58
59 I already expressed my opinion twice in that bug report: if upstream
60 ships a systemd unit file, we will let the ebuild install it. But we
61 do not have to add a patch to enable systemd support where upstream
62 does not ship it.
63
64 Also, I am not "threatening" anyone. But if you so clearly disregard
65 my opinion as co-maintainer, then I see no way we can work together on
66 this.
67
68 > You will soon realize that your stance against systemd will make you
69 > disagree with more developers in the imminent future.
70
71 That may be the case, but as long as OpenRC is Gentoo's default, and
72 we are not forced to add support for systemd where upstream does not,
73 then we can all continue on our merry way.
74
75 It is in the nature of a big open source project like Gentoo that
76 there will be disagreements. But we can agree to respectfully disagree
77 and work out some policies that are acceptable for people with
78 different opinions.
83 > > WTF man? No, we do not _need_ to add support for an alternative init system
84 > > that is so aggressively opposed to what we stand for.
85 >
86 > Eh...
87 >
88 > 1) Who is "we"?
89 >
90 > 2) What exactly does this "we" people stand for?
91 >
92 > 3) Why does "we" stand aggressively opposed to an alternative init system?
93 >
94 > If you meant Gentoo, it stands for "... just about any application or need."
95 > [1] and I don't see why it would be aggressively opposed to an alternative
96 > init system which some of our users are experiencing a benefit from; apart
97 > from a rather small group of people that decide to behave strongly opposed
98 > to it.
99
100 The whole paragraph on that page says: "Gentoo is a free operating
101 system based on either Linux or FreeBSD that can be automatically
102 optimized and customized for just about any application or need.
103 Extreme configurability, performance and a top-notch user and
104 developer community are all hallmarks of the Gentoo experience. "
105
106 Systemd is diametrically opposed to the FreeBSD, customization,
107 extreme configurability, and top-notch developer community aspects of
108 that. Systemd upstream developers have made it abundantly clear they
109 are not interested in working with Gentoo developers to see to the
110 needs of source-based distros. They stand for vertical integration
111 instead of customization and configurability.
112
113 And you misunderstood: it is systemd that is aggressively opposed to
114 Gentoo. But apparently that doesn't bother some of our developers and
115 Gentoo is becoming more and more welcoming to it.
116
117 > > But since you pushed this change through against my wishes, I will remove myself as maintainer of this package.
118 >
119 > If having systemd@g.o (or any other alternative init system, or any other
120 > developer permitted by them or a higher instance) add just a few characters
121 > you never need to touch and changing an unit file you don't want is too
122 > much, then you're just stepping away from the collaborative effort that
123 > pursues the goal as stated on the about page of Gentoo; we're all in this
124 > together, don't make hate tear you apart.
125
126 I am making a stand for what I believe in. That is not hate. I simply
127 think that systemd is a bad idea. But if others want to make it work
128 on Gentoo, that is their time to waste.
129
130 For my part, I simply wish to not be forced to add support for it in
131 packages I maintain.
132
133 > Are you going to stop maintaining
134 > any package alternative init system maintainers and users come nag you on? :(
135
136 That is not what this is about. I will simply do the same as I already
137 did on this bug: refer users to upstream.
138
139 But if a co-maintainer pushes through a change that I oppose, then
140 working together becomes quite difficult. In this case I opted to give
141 up maintainership.
142
143 > [1]: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml
144 >
145 > Hope you would reconsider, it isn't hard to CC systemd@g.o and let them add
146 > or change characters that don't stand in your way; in fact, when I'm bug
147 > wrangling I've started CC-ing them on any new "systemd unit request" bugs
148 > such they can help if the maintainer does not have knowledge in the area.
149
150 I don't want to do that. And as long as I am not forced to do so, I
151 will maintain the packages I maintain as I see fit.
152
153 > Similarly, I expect in the near future that OpenRC mantainers (and any other
154 > alternative init system maintainers) will do the same; because really, even
155 > some of our systemd developers are starting to forget how init files were
156 > implemented, nor are they able to easily test them.
157 >
158 > At least not until we get eselect init sorted out... :)
161 Cheers,
162
163 Ben | yngwin
164 Gentoo developer