From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 22:16:16
1 Carlos Silva posted on Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:13:56 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> It it isn't necessary for a system to have support for either oldnet or
6 >> newnet. Sure, it is rare these days, but networking support should be
7 >> a default, not a requirement.
8 >
9 > Care to explain how will the installation be done if "networking" isn't
10 > requirement? Maybe I missed the news about gentoo being and
11 > offline-instalable :X
12
13 Similar but not identical to Peter, when I installed gentoo on my (32-bit-
14 only gen-1.5) netbook (which contrary to the name I use almost entirely
15 in "off-net" mode), I built it in a 32-bit chroot on my amd64 system,
16 slightly expanding from the gentoo/amd64 32-bit chroot guide to install a
17 full system instead of just the 32-bit stub in the chroot, thus making it
18 my "32-bit buildroot",
19
20 I then partitioned and mkfsed a USB thumbdrive, and copied the buildroot
21 into the various appropriate thumbdrive partitions, and tried booting the
22 netbook off it. Iterate additional packages and changed config, plus
23 rsyncing buildroot-to-thumbdrive until I got the netbook booting and
24 ultimately operational.
25
26 Eventually I setup (ethernet-only) networking and sshd on the netbook,
27 plus an ssh client on my main amd64 machine, thus allowing me to turn on
28 the network and sshd on the netbook, and ssh in for administration from
29 the main machine, rsyncing directly in ordered to substantially reduce
30 the hassle of the former plug thumbdrive into the main machine and mount,
31 rsync to thumbdrive, unmount and unplug, plug into netbook, mount and
32 rsync, unmount, procedure I had used in for the original bootstrap and
33 early maintenance.
34
35 But since I normally run the netbook in offline mode anyway, and I
36 already had the thumbdrive "sneakernet" (that's an old one!) working, I
37 would have been and was entirely fine without networking in the chroot or
38 on the netbook at all, should I have wished to continue that way.
39
40 BTW, the netbook doesn't have a portage tree at all. Those are on the
41 main machine, bind-mounted into the 32-bit buildroot to update it.
42 Installation and original maintenance on the netbook was via sneakernet,
43 no network or portage tree required on the netbook at all. While the
44 netbook now has ethernet-networking and sshd setup in one runlevel in
45 ordered to avoid the sneakernet hassle, it still doesn't have nor need a
46 portage tree. While my gen-1.5 netbook was one of the first with a full
47 SATA drive (the reason I got it), 120 gig, many netbooks of that era run
48 with an 8 gig or smaller SSD, which my installation would fit on. It'd
49 fit on a 4-gig, altho there wouldn't be much room for anything other than
50 the OS. Obviously you aren't going to want the portage tree on that, nor
51 are you really going to want to actually build on the netbook given its
52 speed (tho it's certainly possible to do so in a pinch), thus the chroot/
53 buildroot method.
58 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman