From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Developer Relations <devrel@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposing fundamental changes to DevRel
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 00:01:00
1 Hello!
4 yngwin's devaway message still reads
5
6 "inactive, pending resolution of devrel issue".
7
8 yngwin retired. I woudn't go as far as saying that his case made him
9 retire but I definitely say that _DevRel failed on his case_.
10 I believe I had enough insight to be able to say.
13 I would like to propose these fundamental changes to DevRel:
14
15 1) Make the list of subscribers to the devrel alias public
16
17 Idea: If you share private information you have a right
18 to know with whom you share.
19
20 2) Clearly split DevRel into groups for recruiting and conflict
21 resolution with distinct aliases.
22
23 3) Let Gentoo developers vote on who's in the conflict resolution
24 team just like we do with the council.
25
26 4) Disallow membership with both the conflict resolution group
27 and the council at the same time (as the council is where issues
28 with devrel are taken to).
29
30 Idea: From insight on cases of DevRel versus members of RevRel
31 I can tell this dossn't work well. I suppose that
32 Council against Council-DevRel doesn't work better.
33
34 Problem: Both betelgeuse and jmbsvicetto are DevRel members
35 nominated for the upcoming council election.
36 As I am also nominated proposing such rule could be
37 understood aiming at decreasing their chances on the
38 council and increasing mine as a result. However, as I
39 propose to start over with a developer voted conflict
40 resolution team this is not the case. The only
41 implication is that if they make it to the council
42 they cannot be elected for the conflict resolution team.
45 DevRel is one of the most important things in Gentoo - we dependend on
46 that working well. If you care about this please make yourself heard.
47
48 Thanks,
52 Sebastian