From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LFS QA warnings coming soon to a build near you
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 08:15:53
1 On Sun, 31 May 2015 11:17:50 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > well if we're going to do arbitrary lists ;)
5 > (1) your options aren't mutually exclusive
6 > (2) implementing both are desirable
7
8 good to know your longterm plan :)
9 however, even if both can be done, i still don't see the point of going
10 through patching if we end up changing the default anyway.
11
12 > (3) considering the glibc effort has been stalled for over a year,
13 > (1) is something we can help accomplish and make reasonable progress
14 > on (4) glibc isn't the only one that implements LFS in a transparent
15 > backwards compatible manner
16
17 maybe the fact that some file operations are broken with glibc's
18 default settings on a somewhat popular fs would be a good argument to
19 un-stall it ?
20
21 > which leads me to the next part ... my first suggestion in the
22 > tracker is for autotool based projects to use AC_SYS_LARGEFILE
23 > because: (a) it supports a variety of systems
24 > (b) as new systems come up or bugs are found or whatever, the
25 > autoconf macro will improve and people eventually get those fixes for
26 > free (c) it does it all transparently for you -- add the macro and
27 > you're done (d) it fixes the package for all users, new & old
28 >
29 > the reason i listed only the raw CPPFLAGS and autoconf macros are
30 > because those are the two i'm familiar with. i don't know how other
31 > build systems (e.g. cmake) support this (assuming they do at all).
32 > if people have other recipes on hand, then it would be great to
33 > collect more there. -mike
36 yes, but that is not what i am discussing: unless i missed something,
37 they'll all end up one way or another adding the relevant defines;
38 whether it is done with an m4 macro, append-lfs-flags, a cmake function
39 or what else is an implementation detail of little interest to me trying
40 to understand why we don't simply change the default :)
41
42 Alexis.