From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] portage 1.5 bugs
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 16:41:44
1 Here's the current bug/feature/testing list for Portage:
2
3 1. For package installs, runtime dependencies should be calculated using the USE
4 setting contained in the .tbz2 metadata rather than the USE setting in
5 /etc/make.conf/defaults.
6
7 2. Add MULTIPLE support. Make Portage default to only allowing a single version of
8 a package installed at one time. MULTIPLE will allow users to override this
9 behavior:
10
11 MULTIPLE="major" or 1 means that foo/bar-1.0 and foo/bar-2.0 can be installed together
12 MULTIPLE="minor" or 2 means that foo/bar-1.0, 2.0, and 2.1 can be installed together
13 MULTIPLE=3,4,5,etc.
14 MULTIPLE=0 means no restrictions (even foo/bar-1.0 and foo/bar-1.0-r1 can be installed together)
15 Also need to add a system-wide override option for this one.
16
17 3. Test out virtual package database ops, making sure that "!virtual/mta" will prevent
18 multiple installs of MTAs.
19
20 4. Add csh support to env-update
21
22 5. Upgrade fetch feature to eliminate partial download problem
23
24 6. Enhance /usr/sbin/ebuild so that it can recursively merge packages. Base this
25 on the digraph code in /usr/sbin/pkgmerge
26
27 7. Add system profile support to the portage-maintain code
28
29 Once we get all these things working, I think we should be able to focus almost
30 exclusively on other aspects of Gentoo Linux and move towards Gentoo Linux 2.0.
31
32 Once we fix other weak areas (such as a lack of an optional easy
33 installer/optional easy system configuration tool), I can focus on developing
34 xbuild, the successor to ebuild. xbuild is intended to be even nicer than
35 ebuild, with more features and even better performance. Since by the time we
36 start using xbuild, we'll probably have close to 2,000 packages, a smooth
37 transition is going to be important, and should be quite easy. It's likely
38 that we can convert our entire tree over using a sed or awk script.
39
40 So, if you'd like a major feature to be added to ebuild, speak up now, or you
41 may need to wait a bit! :)
42
43 Best Regards,
46 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>