From: Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package up for grabs: sys-firmware/iwl1000-ucode
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 09:06:07
1 Hi,
2
3 On 2019/11/15 21:35, Matt Turner wrote:
4 > On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 2:20 AM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
5 >> The package is somewhat redundant, because sys-kernel/linux-firmware
6 >> installs the same files. (Same for all other sys-firmware/iwl*-ucode
7 >> packages.)
8 > Should last-rite all of them, IMO.
9 >
10 I both agree and disagree with this.  It's the simpler solution and
11 therefore I agree.
12
13 I disagree because in some cases I really only want specific firmware
14 for specific sets of hardware (especially where space constraints are an
15 issue, read: embedded type systems).
16
17 The current linux-firmware package is getting quite big in terms of install.
18
19 Kind Regards,
20 Jaco