From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New global USE flags (network, 3dnowext, static-libs, mtp)
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 07:39:14
1 Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> posted 4A26D241.60702@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 22:42:57 +0300:
3
4 > Mounir Lamouri wrote:
5 >> Samuli Suominen wrote:
6 >>> Mart Raudsepp wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> On K, 2009-06-03 at 02:13 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
9 >>>>
10 >>>>> USE network is used by 9 ebuilds, and one is using USE networking
11 >>>>> which can be converted, that'd be 10.
12 >>>>>
13 >>> USE network "Enable networking support
14 >> Maybe "network" and "net" could be merged ?
15 >>
16 >> Mounir
19 > Yes. USE="networking" and USE="net" to global USE flag "network". They
20 > all seem to do the same thing.
21
22 In at least one I package I use, media-sound/mpd, USE=network doesn't
23 really do what it says on the tin.
24
25 Currently, "the tin" says "Enable network streaming support". However,
26 what it does is enable network streaming /server/, with the requisite
27 encoding, etc. Network streaming /client/ support is always enabled for
28 this package, regardless of the USE=network setting, and indeed, I
29 happily listen to incoming shoutcast streams all the time despite USE=-
30 network for this package.
31
32 This was a relatively new flag for this package, added in the fresh ~arch
33 version, and it certainly caused me some initial confusion, until I
34 actually examined the ebuild itself to see what it did.
35
36 Perhaps a more accurate flag for media-sound/mpd would therefore be
37 USE=server (which BTW has all sorts of local entries, but AFAIK, has been
38 disapproved as a global USE flag before).
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman