From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Manifest2 decision delayed (was: Gentoo Council Meeting Summary (20060209))
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 03:08:44
1 On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 00:21 +0100, Torsten Veller wrote:
2 > * Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>:
3 > > Agenda:
4 > > * GLEP 44 - Manifest2 format
5 > >
6 > > Outcome:
7 > > * Council members were generally in agreement that GLEP 44 is a good
8 > > idea, but without genone present to answer questions, the council
9 > > was unwilling to approve or deny it. Postponed to next meeting,
10 > > with the expectation that genone or a proxy will attend then.
11 >
12 > The GLEP was published here two months ago. A reminder was posted two
13 > weeks ago. Can you please add your questions to the thread on this
14 > mailinglist in time?
15
16 A part of the motivation of glep44 is about saving space.
17
18 I would like to see it drop the tab handling for indicating newlines
19 and just use a real newlines when we want a newline.
20
21 While having the tabs makes it easier for people to read it increases
22 the byte size and adds some undesired complexity for admins, scripts &
23 programs which want to utilize the file. A basic grep or sort would
24 probably be more than a one liner when having to deal with the
25 newline+tabs.
26
27 Current ~arch portage-2.1_preX Manifest files are using MD5, RMD160 and
28 SHA256;
29
30 Will Manifest2 drop SHA1 and use SHA256 also?
31 Is a max of 3 ciphers a self imposed hard limit? If not can we set that
32 to be so we don't get carried away?
33
34 The words AUXFILE EBUILD MISCFILE DISTFILE could be using shorter
35 names such as AUX EBD MSC DST like the existing vdb CONTENTS
36 files does for objects dirs and symlinks.
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list