From: Paul <set@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] termcap in baselayout? [was Re: annoying delays in screen since last update]
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:46:25
1 Gert Menke <g.menke@×××.net>, on Wed Aug 28, 2002 [06:10:30 PM] said:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 12:34:21AM +0900, makoto@×××××××××××.jp wrote:
5 > > From: Gert Menke <g.menke@×××.net>
6 > > > Since I last did an update world, app-misc/screen started to wait about 5
7 > > > seconds everytime I start it and everytime I open a new window. This is
8 > > You can easily resolve the problem if you remove (or rename)
9 > > /etc/termcap. It comes along with new sys-apps/baselayout.
10 > > It seems that screen is parsing /etc/termcap in the delay time.
11 >
12 > Thank you, this helps.
13 >
14 > But isn't an /etc/termcap a good thing to have? Why does it suddenly take
15 > so long to parse it? Perhaps it has been replaced with a much bigger
16 > version than before during the last baselayout update? It's 16k lines long
17 > which seems quite huge...
18 >
19 > Regards,
20 > Gert
21
22 Why do we have a giant /etc/termcap in baselayout? If
23 some app _needs_ termcap instead of terminfo, then maybe termcap
24 can be a separate package it depends on...?
25 I am curious what dependancy brought this in.
26
27 Paul
28 set@×××××.com