From: Mike Kelly <pioto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting (plus glep27)
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 07:31:35
1 On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 06:00:32 -0800
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Thats off the top of the head, and just the stuff I've had on hold
5 > for EAPI=1. Would expect user/group management (glep27 off the top
6 > of the head) would be on the radar also, although thats firmly in
7 > pioto's court.
8
9 Hmm, since I was mentioned here, I guess I'll respond.
10
11 My glep 27 implementation is essentially complete, though without
12 making some changes to PAM and shadow, it won't really function for
13 ROOT!=/ with a GNU userland. Because of this, I don't really deem it
14 ready for general use yet.
15
16 I want my final code to be complete and done in the correct way, so
17 rather than just having it hack away at ${ROOT}/etc/passwd and what
18 not, I want to take the time to patch PAM and shadow. This isn't
19 something I really have the time right now to dive into (I'm working 6
20 days a week), but I hope to have the time to dive into it in a few
21 more months when I leave my current job and go back to school.
22
23 ----
24
25 Back on topic, though. I don't see how having this spec drafted in part
26 by non-developers is such an issue. The council doesn't have to accept
27 this document as official, and they can always request changes be made.
28
29 So, how does it matter if one of the people who has a strong interest
30 in writing this isn't currently a Gentoo developer? I'd say we should
31 be glad, since it means that developers can spend more time on their
32 other projects and not have to worry about doing the grunt work of
33 writing this spec. And, just because people are working on writing this
34 spec doesn't mean other folks can't go and write their own.
37 Mike Kelly