From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 49 - take 2
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 16:36:18
1 On 22/05/06, Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
2 > There are serious costs involved with forking something. For gentoo this
3 > would include image problems by being seen as "evil" forkers.
4
5 Surely such decisions should be based on technical merit, and not
6 political? The technical cost of forking is small.
7
8 > Also
9 > mandriva, suse, ubuntu etc. distinguish themselves from the pack in which
10 > packages are offered in which configuration. Gentoo differs from that in
11 > that users can determine the configuration. The package manager directly
12 > influences the freedom available for the users. Making binary and source
13 > distros not easilly comparable.
14
15 I'm not sure I follow this line of reasoning - other distros can have
16 external package managers because their users have less freedom? Are
17 you concerned about the political effect of there being less to
18 distinguish Gentoo from clones, or the fact that an external package
19 manager might somehow seek to limit users freedom to determine
20 configurations?
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list