From: Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mips@g.o, security@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-proxy/squid should be demoted to ~mips
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 03:33:36
1 Alin Nastac wrote:
2 > Given the lack of interest manifested by mips team regarding
3 > net-proxy/squid and its security bumps, I propose to remove the last
4 > mips-stable version of this package - 2.5.10-r2 - marked as such by
5 > hardave on September the 4th 2005.
6
7 As a member of the MIPS team, I take offence to that comment.
8
9 While yes, security is of high importance, we do not have the sufficient
10 numbers to make it priority 1. It has to play second fiddle to other
11 issues such as kernel and toolchain-related issues.
12
13 Squid comes in significantly lower on the pecking order, due to
14 necessity, and so I don't watch it like a hawk to keyword each and every
15 version bump.
16
17 Also, it is worth noting that MIPS hardware is significantly much
18 slower, than x86 hardware... and so additional time must be allowed for.
19 We are often testing quite a few packages, many of which take a long
20 time to compile. (X for instance is an overnight job, minimum, on my
21 Indy). Thus, we can't be expected to test things at the same rate as,
22 say, the x86 or AMD64 teams.
23
24 That said, now that I'm aware of the problem, I'll take a look and see
25 about bumping the latest version.
26 --
27 Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter) .'''.
28 Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer '.'` :
30 http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter :.'