From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: News item: MySQL 5.1 bump
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 04:33:39
1 On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 04:20:27AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > """
3 > Note that existing databases will need converted as well,
4 > again including those upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1.
5 > Details can be found in the official upgrade docs at:
6 > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/upgrade.html
7 > """
8 _may_ need to be converted, not _will_.
9
10 > If you wish to put the unofficial upgrade recommendation in too, that
11 > would be fine.
12 That would encourage users not to read the above document.
13
14 > Hopefully that'll cover us users that don't particularly care about
15 > databases, we just want our kde to work... and it'll continue to do so.
16 > =:^) (IOW, are there any particularly different procedures for upgrading
17 > databases in user's $HOME dirs?
18 - If you're using embedded MySQL (Amarok), you're going to be on your
19 own.
20 - If you actually ran mysqld as your own user (Akonadi w/ internal MySQL
21 instance), use the mysql_upgrade with suitable parameters to connect
22 to the database (as to what those are, you're the one running it, not
23 me).
24
25 > Perhaps a note for kde users telling them where their databases are
26 > located so they /can/ back them up, etc.)
27 I've got no idea where they are located, I just focus on MySQL itself.
28 I wasn't even aware of Akonadi's usage until a couple of weeks ago.
31 Robin Hugh Johnson
32 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
33 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
34 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85