From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Undefined cases in version policy
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 03:14:32
1 maillog: 28/02/2004-02:47:02(+0100): Marius Mauch types
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > as I was rewriting the code used for verifying and comparing versions I
5 > noticed a case that's not covered in the docs, let's use the example
6 > where foo has the following versions available:
7 > foo-1.0b
8 > foo-1.0.1
9 > Now the question is: Which version is considered newer?
10 > As I had no idea and though that we didn't have this case in the tree I
11 > started a small poll in #gentoo-dev and achieved a 4:0 vote for foo-1.0b
12 > being newer than foo-1.0.1, so I went on and implemented it this way.
13 > Now while testing I noticed that a) current code handles this the other
14 > direction and b) we actually have 2 packages that are affected by this:
15 > app-arch/arj and media-video/kavi2svcd.
16 >
17 > So I'm sending this mail to get some more opinions about this. If anyone
18 > is curious, the actual code and test scripts are on bug #37406.
19
20 If there are only two packages, why not implement it the way those packages
21 have implemented it? However, since this type of versioning makes no sense, I
22 would rather reversion what is available in portage. For example, if 1.0b is
23 supposed to be older than 1.0.1, I'd make 1.0b -> 1.0.0b
24
25 I'd personally vote for 1.0b < 1.0.1, because the letter (in my understanding)
26 is a suffix that goes after MAJOR, MINOR and PATCHLEVEL (and any other levels
27 that might be there). Unless there is a chance of seeing foo-1.0b.1 I mean.
28
29 And the score is:
30
31 1.0b : 1.0.1
32 4 : 1
35 ( Georgi Georgiev ( You are as I am with You. (
36 ) chutz@×××.net ) )
37 ( +81(90)6266-1163 ( (