From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for dangerous USE flags
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 17:37:58
1 On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 01:22:51PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > The net-analyzer/nrpe package has a ./configure flag:
3 >
4 > --enable-command-args allows clients to specify command arguments. ***
5 > THIS IS A SECURITY RISK! *** Read the SECURITY
6 > file before using this option!
7 >
8 > Back in nrpe-2.x, it was available via USE=command-args, but I dropped
9 > it from nrpe-3.x, and a user just asked about it (bug 628596). There are
10 > at least two things we could do with a dangerous flag like that:
11 >
12 > 1) require EXTRA_ECONF to enable it.
13 > 2) hide it behind a masked USE flag.
14 >
15 > Both options require about the same amount of work from the user, namely
16 > editing something under /etc/portage. What do y'all think is the best
17 > way to proceed? Are there other examples in the tree I could follow?
18
19 I like the masked USE flag approach. Using EXTRA_ECONF requires a bit more
20 work from the user (not much though) but is less visible afterwards in my
21 opinion.
22
23 Perhaps a name that implies that there is a security risk could be
24 interesting, but that's a minor suggestion.
25
26 Is there a way we could somehow ensure that a USE flag is never set
27 globally, but only on a per-package basis?
28
29 Wkr,
30 Sven Vermeulen