From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Training points for users interested in helping out with ebuild development
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 18:20:04
1 On Tuesday 05 May 2009 20:37:24 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 04 May 2009 21:47:08 +0100
3 >
4 > George Prowse <george.prowse@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > If you make it a big and special occasion which is planned correctly
6 > > with a sufficient number of current developers who are willing to
7 > > walk people through how and what it means to be a Gentoo Developer
8 > > then the influx could create a new backbone of new developers who
9 > > will hopefully be here for years to come.
10 >
11 > That's not how it works -- we know this from last time Gentoo
12 > recruited a whole load of people without verifying their abilities. With
13 > lots of new developers, what little time skilled developers already have
14 > ends up being spent fixing all the screwups made by people who were only
15 > recruited to make up numbers. Gentoo needs better developers, not more
16 > developers.
17 We surely need more developers. Otherwise we ll end up maintaining 100<x<500
18 each one. Just look at the numbers ( total packages/total ACTIVE developers
19 ). So first we need to attract more people. Evaluation and recruitment comes
20 next
21 --
22 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
23 Gentoo Linux Developer [KDE/Qt/Sound/Sunrise]
24 Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org