From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Trustless Infrastructure
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 19:13:53
1 On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 11:47 AM, Jason A. Donenfeld <zx2c4@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 6:02 PM R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Signed hashes should be faster, no? Each directory with files could
4 >> have a manifest.
5 >
6 > Signatures work over hashes of data, anyway. I think what you're
7 > wondering, though, is the granularity of each signature? I'd recommend
8 > this be done on the per-file level, since we wouldn't want gentoo devs
9 > signing files in a directory they haven't actually inspected. For
10 > example, eclasses.
13 Ah, okay then - I think at one time in the past GPG did something
14 strange with file contents directly, or perhaps the implementation was
15 just inefficient. It was maybe related to Debian where I first read
16 about this? They were signing an .iso directly and found it was faster
17 to hash it and then sign the hash.
20 >> > - Ensure the naming scheme of portage files is sufficiently strict, so
21 >> > that renaming or re-parenting signed files doesn't result in RCE. [*]
22 >> > - Distribute said .asc files with rsync per usual.
23 >>
24 >> Rsync would work with this setup, but there is also webrsync-gpg in
25 >> Portage right now. This covers the vast majority of usecases right
26 >> now.
27 >
28 > Not sure whether you've missed the point or if you're responding to
29 > something slightly different, but it's worth noting that both rsync
30 > and webrsync-gpg right now check against infra signatures, rather than
31 > developer signatures, and this is a big problem.
32
33 Right, I lost track of that. The infrastructure or release developers
34 are implicitly trusting all developers, so I suppose cutting out the
35 middleman will reduce work.