From: Francesco Riosa <vivo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Parallizing ebuilds - 'trivial' ebuilds
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:30:37
1 >>> I would like to be able to limit the -jN when there is no distcc host
2 >>> available or when compiling c++ code, otherwise my poor laptop is dead with
3 >>> -j5 compiling pwlib when the network is down....
4 >> As far as I can tell distcc isn't smart enough for dynamic load balancing.
5 >> One could hack portage to "test" each server in the distcc host list and
6 >> remove missing servers for each run - doesn't look elegant to me.
7 > dn
8 > Yes, might be a solution, even if not elegant. I am thinking also of
9 > automating distcc configuration (i.e. no need to run --set-hosts) and one
10 > idea is to use DNS with some TXT record, but that is just an idea - no
11 > patching is done yet.
12
13 you may be interested in the SRV DNS record, take a look at
14 http://www.dns-sd.org/ServiceTypes.html
17 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list