From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: Nick Muldoon <nickmuldoon@×××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installer
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 21:02:22
1 On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Nick Muldoon wrote:
2
3 > I am just wondering if you are planning on releasing a CLI installer or
4 > similar?
5
6 There has been some work on various installers, but we've not reached any
7 point stable enough for even volunteer testing. The major effort has been
8 made against a GUI installer. (vprada@g.o may know more).
9
10 > I know it's probably not that hard for you guys - the developers - to install
11 > it but i have found it a bit difficult.
12
13 The detailed Unix/Linux knowledge required by the installation procedure
14 is currently indicative of what kind of skill set it takes to run the
15 installed distribution.
16
17 We are of course working to improve this; we do _not_ want our users to
18 need to be full-fledged developers in order to benefit from the wonders of
19 Gentoo.
20
21 However, current efforts are made against system stability. We want to
22 have a collection of packages that work nicely together, that one can
23 expect that *any* emerge <package> will work without any hassle, and that
24 new releases of Gentoo have been QAed.
25
26 Once that is handled, time will most likely be ripe for writing, adapting
27 and soliciting system installation and administration tools.
28
29 (Disclaimer: As with any open-source project, the team members could
30 decide to take a hard left any day, so this is nothing more than a
31 [well?] educated guess.)
34 Kind regards,
35
36 Karl T