From: Jeff Kowing <jeffrey.d.kowing@××××.gov>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Methods for managing etc files.
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:11:31
1 I was interested in any methods or techniques that gentoo folks have
2 found useful in helping to manage their /etc configuration files.
3
4 One particular problem I have is when I do an update that affects lots
5 of /etc files. After the emerge I have lots of ._cfg* files to go
6 through. I know there is no magical method, but I was
7 looking for some way to do something like the following:
8
9 1. Auto replace all /etc files that I have not personally modified
10 with the new ._cfg* file.
11
12 2. Do the usual ._cfg* thing when I have previously modified the
13 original /etc file. Then, as normal, at my convenience I can use
14 etc-update and/or my favorite merge tool to take care of those.
15
16 I know there are merge tools that could detect this sort of thing
17 based upon the ancestor version of the /etc file. Or, I imagine there
18 are fairly straight forward ways to make a list before the emerge of
19 which /etc/ files have been modified and and which have not. That
20 list could then be used by another script after the emerge to decide
21 which /etc files may be automatically replaced.
22
23 But before I try doing this sort of thing, maybe someone already has
24 done this?
25
26 (By the way, I know about CONFIG_PROTECT and CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK, but,
27 I don't really see how they could achieve what I'm looking for.
28 Besides, I believe they only operate on directories rather than
29 invidual files).
30
31 Thanks for any advice.
34 Jeff Kowing