From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] seeds, GLEPs, and projects
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:27:55
1 Grant Goodyear wrote:
2
3 > To some extent, we're back to determining what the word "official" means
4 > in these cases. My goal in making projects easy to create was to
5 > support innovative ideas. Most innovative ideas don't pan out, however,
6 > so a corollary has to be that just because a project exists (and thus is
7 > somehow "official") doesn't mean that anything useful will come out of
8 > it, nor that what does come out of it will be supported by the community
9 > as a whole. If we need to change things to make that reality more clear, I'm
10 > certainly willing to listen to suggestions.
11
12 I really like the idea that people can create new projects w/o some
13 overseeing board, but I don't like new projects that don't announce an
14 RFC before they say "here we are". I'd like to keep this process easy,
15 and I do agree with you that this particular case may not have fallen
16 under the GLEP area. So that being said, what's the harm in requiring
17 folks to send an RFC to -dev a few weeks prior to making some kind of
18 public announcement? I know that several people will argue that a lot of
19 things in a project may not be drawn out completely, but I think
20 encouraging people wanting to create new projects to try and at least go
21 through most of the process before announcing it to the world is a good
22 ideal.
23
24 I'm not implying that an RFC needs to be as drawn out as a GLEP, but it
25 certainly should lay out the goals, plans, some implementation details.
26 Who knows, maybe you'll get a few folks interested right off and that's
27 a plus for you in the long run. You'll of course have the few who will
28 flame the idea and you'll just have to take what they say as a grain of
29 salt. We're all knowledgeable about various things, why can't we utilize
30 that asset?
31
32 If people like this idea, I'd like to propose the council to add an
33 addendum to our "new projects" policy to include the requirement of some
34 kind of RFC before a public announcement saying 'we're ready' is done.
35 Its kind of a 'peer' review type of thing and it also builds
36 trust/communication between all of us.
37
38 This whole issue boils down to accountability and communication. We want
39 to make sure that We (gentoo) as a whole can be accountable for a
40 project that is created. We also want to be informed so that we can
41 either comment or become involved in a new project during its formation.
44 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
45 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
46
47 ---
48 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
49 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
50
51 ramereth/irc.freenode.net