From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] extend profiles.desc to include "experimental" profiles
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 05:40:35
1 On Friday 11 January 2008, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > For one, a way to mark a profile as deprecated in profiles.desc so
3 > repoman doesn't scan it (currently, we remove tend to remove them from
4 > the list).
5
6 is this really needed ? i'm trying to see why this would be useful, and not
7 coming up with much ... profiles.desc exists for two reasons:
8 - for qa tools to scan
9 - so people have a list of valid profiles
10 if a profile is deprecated and on the way out, neither of these two things
11 apply to it, so what's the use of having it listed ? we can already mark
12 profiles deprecated for users who already have it selected ...
13
14 > The second would be a change to repoman that's more
15 > "invasive" in that it changes current behavior a good bit, but having
16 > repoman only scan "stable" profiles, by default, with options to scan
17 > the other types.
18
19 i think by moving our most annoying profiles out of the dev to the exp state
20 would mean that any warnings left while in the dev state are something we
21 want to be seeing and addressing. the problem right now is that we have two
22 types of profiles listed in dev: ones that people should care about and
23 shouldnt be breaking and ones that people shouldnt care about and are free to
24 break. package maintainers obviously dont (and shouldnt) know which are
25 which.
26
27 > I've always wanted to have *every* valid profile
28 > listed in profiles.desc so we can do things like have portage not allow
29 > someone to use a profile that isn't listed in profiles.desc (of course,
30 > overlay users crazy enough could do their own profiles.desc and it would
31 > be stacked with the in-tree one). The main problem with doing this has
32 > been the effect on repoman, since it scans every listed profile every
33 > time. I know that most of the profile selection tools out there already
34 > only show profiles that are listed in profiles.desc, so it wouldn't
35 > really be a change for them, but I think it would be useful elsewhere,
36 > too. All in all, having profiles.desc actually showing the status of
37 > all of the profiles would be great.
38
39 i could see it tied to FEATURES=strict. if you have this enabled, then you're
40 only allowed to use declared profiles (which means if you use a non-standard
41 one, you'd need to declare it).
42 -mike