From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Roles v2
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 04:58:43
1 Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o> said:
2 > Here is my updated version after some feedback from people:
3 >
4 > * The QA team's purpose is to provide cross-team assistance in keeping
5 > the tree in a good state. This is done primarily by finding and pointing
6 > out issues to maintainers and, where necessary, taking direct action.
7 > * In case of emergency, or if package maintainers refuse to cooperate,
8 > the QA team may take action themselves to fix the problem.
9 > * The QA team may also offer to fix obvious typos and similar minor
10 > issues, and silence from the package maintainers can be taken as agreement in
11 > such situations.
12 > * In the event that a developer still insists that a package does not
13 > break QA standards, an appeal can be made at the next council meeting. The
14 > package should be dealt with per QA's request until such a time that a
15 > decision is made by the council.
16 > * In the case of disagreement on policy among QA members, the majority
17 > of established QA members must agree with the action.
18 > * Just because a particular QA violation has yet to cause an issue does
19 > not change the fact that it is still a QA violation.
20 > * If a particular developer persistently causes breakage, the QA team
21 > may request that devrel re-evaluates that developer's commit rights.
22 > Evidence of past breakages will be presented with this request to
23 > devrel.
24 > * The QA team will maintain a list of current "QA Standards" with
25 > explanations as to why they are problems, and how to fix the problem. The
26 > list is not meant by any means to be a comprehensive document, but rather a
27 > dynamic document that will be updated as new problems are discovered. The QA
28 > team will also do their best to ensure all developer tools are in line with
29 > the current QA standards.
30
31 I'm happy enough to send the above to the Council. I think the only issue
32 will be with bullet point 4. I know that the QA team as a whole like the
33 wording this way leaving the onus on the package maintainer to prove the
34 merrits of their package rather then having the onus on the QA team to
35 prove fault. Personally I also like the wording this way (in most cases).
36
37 In the cases where a clear technical solution presents itself to the
38 problems the package presents that does not change the intended behavior
39 (unless said behavior is what is broken) and the maintainer still
40 refuses to apply the neceesary changes I think that the QA team should
41 be cleared to make them. This is all under the understanding that the
42 maintainer has the right to appeal in order to revert said changes.
43
44 The tougher call comes when the severity of a QA violation comes into
45 question. If the QA team presents a problem to a maintainer that they
46 believe is severe enough to warrant a package's removal and no technical
47 solution has presented itself to either the QA team or the maintainer to
48 work around the issue I think that the QA team should have the right to
49 hard mask the package pending an appeal. In such cases I'd almost say
50 that an appeal should be automatically triggered so that a decision
51 about the true severity of the QA issue can be ironed out. I certainly
52 hope that there will be few enough of these that the council will not end
53 up bogged down in policy decisions and QA conflict mediation.
54
55 The above also has to be done on a case by case basis, if hardmasking a
56 package would cause wide tree breakage itself then another choice has to
57 be made.
58
59 Concurrent with the above what I'd like to see is the QA team showing a
60 willingness to help maintainers find workarounds to particualarly sticky
61 violations. I'm not saying that they should have to learn the packages
62 inside out or that they should not be allowed to act until a solution is
63 found just that they should put a certain level of effort into helping
64 find (or concoct) a solution. This is not to say that they are not doing
65 this now, however, as has been said in the prior incarnation of this
66 thread I also believe that the stickier problems are likely to arise
67 because the maintainer in question did not see a better solution, so
68 part of QA's roll should be to help educate the developer community.
69
70 All in all the one thing I'd like to aviod is QA bugs getting closed as
71 invalid (one of the events that lead up to this thread). I know there
72 is a sense of territory with the ebuilds one maintains, but I'd really
73 like to see an effort made to allow the QA team to explain themselves.
74 If a bug gets opened up on one of your pacakges and it is unclear to you
75 why something is a QA issue either comment on the bug asking th QA team
76 to explain (and I consider pointing someone to existing offial documentation
77 so long as it contains an explanation of what is wrong and how to
78 generally fix such issues to be a valid explanation) or ping them
79 online.
80
81 I really hope that noone thinks the QA team is out to get them. They are
82 here to make the experiance better for all of us as a whole (even if
83 that sometimes means that the experiance for a particular package or two
84 needs to be a little worse). Tree QA is something that we have never had
85 before, at least not really (don't mean to trivialize the work that
86 Mr_Bones_ does). It is something that I believe we need so lets all help
87 with the transition instead of fighting it.
88
89 Thanks,
92 Daniel Ostrow
93 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees