From: Michael Kohl <citizen428@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] volonteers for a gentoo admin tool (portage frontend)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:02:03
1 On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:05:24 -0400
2 "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Why? For Historical reasons <G> the unix way is individual tools
5 > that do the job well,
6
7 Nothing against the UNIX way, I also like it, but just because something
8 is old and in use for a while doesn't mean it's perfect or the only way
9 of doing things. I'll bet there are people who'd like to have the swiss
10 army knife type of program (e..g. FreeBSD converts used to
11 /stand/sysinstall), that's why the real ones sell pretty good. ;)
12
13 > Obvioiusly, we don't have to use this tool but in short I feel we the
14 > effort is better spent elsewhere.
15
16 None of us is a official Gentoo developer and we all like this project.
17 I can't see why this effort should be spent elsewhere.
18
19 > In addition by digging into the command line I really learned
20 > Gentoo/Linux.
21
22 And that was the same for me while still using Debian. The point of this
23 tool is not to replace anything currently present completely, nor is it
24 an attempt to "dummify" Gentoo Linux. But for somebody new to the
25 distribution it may not be obvious what all of the currently present
26 tools do. A unified tool capable of configuring many ascpects of a
27 Gentoo system could help here.
28
29 Michael
32 www.cargal.org
33 GnuPG-key-ID: 0x90CA09E3
34 Jabber-ID: citizen428 [at] cargal [dot] org
35 Registered Linux User #278726