From: "Denis M." <god@××××××××.in>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: support the Dev team with system resources
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 23:18:52
1 Hello gentoo-dev@,
2
3 Starting with a little intro, I'm currently providing a Gentoo VM to a
4 gentoo dev (Agostino Sarubbo (ago)) for the purpose of
5 testing/stabilizing/keywording packages, which is part of his task as a
6 developer and being part of the AT team. I've been running the VM for
7 him for a couple of months now and AFAIK he's been giving it a great use
8 ;-).
9
10 The main idea here is to allow Gentoo contributors and members (not
11 necessary) of the Gentoo community, to be able to support the developer
12 team providing their spare system resources, by, for example, running a
13 Virtual Machine (or any sort of xen, kvm, virtualbox, vmware,
14 whatever...) instance where the devs can run tasks they'd normally
15 wouldn't be able to run with their systems, because:
16
17 * They're doing some other tests at the moment
18 * They're on ~arch and need stable
19 * They're not on the architecture needed for that testing
20 * Their system is not 'powerful' enough
21 * etc...
24 The purpose of doing this is that the developers that have the time and
25 dedication would be able to run a couple of different tests
26 concurrently, on different 'instances' provided by the community. That
27 will greatly, IMHO, improve the team's performance and not only in the
28 AT field.
29
30 The instances provided wouldn't forcefully need to meet any specific
31 minimum requirements (this would be decided once (and if) this gets
32 accepted), but a dual core system with 512MB ram would be somewhat an
33 acceptable instance for the bigger arches (x86 & amd64), and maybe lower
34 specs for the other arches[1]. As an example here, I'm giving Ago a
35 VirtualBox VM with 2GB ram and 4 virtual CPUs.
36
37 Also, for the contributors there shouldn't be any minimum uptime to
38 meet, they'll run the instances the time they use their systems, and if
39 they leave them idle all day/night that would just be better, although
40 they should be able to specify to the team normally the hours their
41 systems would be usable by the devs.
42
43 There should be a list of users that are able to share their resources
44 and each dev(s) would be given a certain number of instances depending
45 on their needs and such.
46
47 I know that you might think that doing this will lower the contributor's
48 desktop experience (as VMs tend to be somewhat heavy while compiling).
49 The usage of the AUTOGROUP kernel scheduler and cgroups tends to make
50 the desktop very much usable under high CPU pressure.
51
52 Please review this, and if you agree that it'd be a good idea come with
53 any suggestions to make it happen as well as with any other
54 thoughts/sys-specs/instances we should be looking for. If you don't
55 think this is a good idea or that it won't profit the Gentoo dev team,
56 please tell me why.
59 Regards,
60 Denis M. (Phr33d0m)
63 PS: This is a re-send as I firstly sent it without subscribing to the ML. So sorry if you receive it 2 times.
64
65 [1] I apologize if this statement is wrong, it's based of my 0 knowledge
66 on the other arches and the resources they need.