From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Rust is here to eat your Pythonz
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 10:52:52
1 On 26-07-2022 08:42:57 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > Just a quick FYI: since Rust is going to be marked stable on the last
5 > architecture (sparc) that it's going to support in Gentoo, we're going
6 > to start cleaning up old dev-python/cryptography soon. If you don't
7 > want Rust, removing cryptography entirely will be your only option.
8
9 I believe this isn't always a "don't want", there's systems on which it
10 simply is impossible to get Rust (ppc64-linux-musl for example). How
11 much does "removing cryptography" impact an Gentoo system wrt
12 availability of packages? I see pip in the list, so I expect the Python
13 env will be seriously crippled? An estimation of the impact would be
14 appreciated here.
15
16 Thanks,
17 Fabian