From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] upstreams that release lzip compressed tarballs (tar.lz) only
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:12:39
1 Hi,
2
3 it seems like some GNU projects start to release their source tarballs
4 in lzip compressed versions only [1][2].
5 This is a problem since portage's unpack function doesn't know anything
6 about lzip.
7 For sys-fs/ddrescue (where I am the Gentoo package maintainer) I simply
8 added "app-arch/lzip" to DEPEND and added an appropriate src_unpack()
9 function to the ebuild. That immediately lead to [3] where I got the
10 request to get rid of that dependency by either convince upstream to
11 release their tarballs in a differently compressed format or provide a
12 recompressed source tarball myself. My conversation with ddrescue
13 upstream was not successful in the way that they were willing to
14 provide their sources in several differently compressed tarballs.
15
16 Now sys-apps/ed started the same with version 1.10 [2] and I really
17 don't want to repeat the whole stuff from ddrescue again without having
18 this discussed here.
19
20 So what can we do? Three solutions came to my mind which I list
21 here in the order first being my favorite, last being my least
22 favorite:
23
24 1.)
25 Make portage's unpack function lzip compatible
26
27 2.)
28 Fix this on ebuild level:
29 - add app-arch/lzip to DEPEND
30 - add something like
31 'tar --lzip -xf "${DISTDIR}"/${P}.tar.lz || die'
32 to a custom src_unpack() function.
33
34 3.)
35 Provide all affected source tarballs ourselves in a portage compatible
36 compressed format.
37
38 4.)
39 Try very hard to convince upstream to provide sources in differently
40 compressed tarballs.
43 What do you think?
44
45 [1] ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/ddrescue/
46 [2] ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/ed/
47 [3] https://bugs.gentoo.org/485462
50 Lars Wendler
51 Gentoo package maintainer
52 GPG: 4DD8 C47C CDFA 5295 E1A6 3FC8 F696 74AB 981C A6FC