From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] enable UTF8 per default?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:41:12
1 Lars Weiler wrote:
2 > * Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> [06/02/28 11:58 +0100]:
3 >> Enabling the unicode useflag in the profiles should help our
4 >> international users and should not cause any problems. Are there any
5 >> known bugs / problems this would trigger? Any reasons against that?
6 >
7 > It is enabled by default. At least on ppc. And that since,
8 > uhm, summer 2004?
9 >
10 > I can't say if there are any problems, as I didn't received
11 > a bug for a long time.
12 Well there are a few problems, but yes I cannot name them now.
13 Using Japanese, Cyrillic and English in a few encodings each is a big nightmare.
14
15 Nowadays I try to move everything to UTF-8, but there are those windoze users
16 and webdevs that make all Japanese in Shift_JIS ... So support of wide range of
17 encodings is a must, but UTF-8 is the truth.
18
19 > The only thing that's nasty: we don't have any good utf8-fonts for the console.
20 And not only the console.
21 Even for xterm there are not many good fonts (known to me) that display both Japanese
22 and Cyrillic in regular and bold. Currently there is only on combination that works for me.
23
24 So fonts, font config and related stuff is what has to be fixed first.
25
26 Kalin.
27
28 P.S. And before fixed, it has to be filed... Promise to take notes (again) when I see something.
29 --
31 +-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list