From: "Bryan Østergaard" <kloeri@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Little respect towards Daniel please
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 11:44:06
1 On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 02:22:08AM +0000, Alex Tarkovsky wrote:
2 > Bryan Østergaard <kloeri <at> gentoo.org> writes:
3 >
4 > Bryan, instead of always addressing the symptoms by asking people to kindly be
5 > quiet or move things elsewhere, why don't you do something more substantive
6 > about what ails Gentoo developers?
7 >
8 > You're head of Developer Relations. That makes you partly responsible for
9 > allowing what should only be minor differences of opinion between developers
10 > (and ex-developers and users) to balloon out of control until the atmosphere
11 > around Gentoo becomes so unpleasant some developers decide it's better to quit
12 > than try to stick around and solve problems. Face it, every time that happens
13 > you've failed to do your job.
14 >
15 > By trying to silence parties involved in a disagreement you only force their
16 > differences to manifest in less desirble ways. And when that happens, things
17 > tend to get really ugly and it inevitably reflects back on Gentoo.
18 I'm not trying to silence anybody. I'm asking people to stop making
19 things worse than they already are.
20 >
21 > Also, brushing things over to private email and private blogs is not always the
22 > answer because the issues behind these disagreements often involve (and just as
23 > importantly, affect) more than 2 people. Just because Daniel Robbins might now
24 > be taking things over to his private blog doesn't mean you no longer have to
25 > deal with the issues he attempted to have a public discussion about.
26 Uhh, I never said anything like that. The only thing I said related to
27 his blog was that whatever he's going to do in the future is off-topic
28 for a gentoo development list if it doesn't involve gentoo development.
29 I think it was quite clear from the context that wasn't the case, so the
30 proper place to tell the world about all the cool things Daniels going
31 to do is his blog imo.
32 >
33 > Gentoo should provide an official venue where developers (and ex-developers and
34 > users) can talk out their disagreements, and under a few plainly spelled-out and
35 > easily enforceable guidelines designed to keep the discourse somewhat civil.
36 >
37 Somehow a lot of people seems to think banning is the only possible
38 solution. I tend to think that's a horrible idea myself and most of
39 devrel backs me up on that. If people thinks devrel is doing a horrible
40 job they can ask council to do something about it - replacing devrel or
41 whatever they'd think would solve it.
42
43 But as long as that hasn't happened devrel is going to work on solving
44 conflicts the best possible way according to their experience and ideas.
45
46 Regards,
47 Bryan Østergaard
48 --