From: Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New RESTRICT=live value for identification of live ebuilds?
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 13:28:17
1 Sorry that this is slightly OT, but maybe one should think
2 about this point in this discussion:
3
4 > It seems like USE would be an unconventional location to store that
5 > information and I'm not sure that it really belongs in the ebuild.
6
7 USE=live could perfectly make sense, if it is equipped with
8 the obvious meaning:
9
10 I suggest that if it is set, then it is attempted before building
11 to download the newest source from cvs/svn/git/monotone/bzr/...,
12 otherwise only the previously downloaded source is recompiled.
13 Currently, this functionality, which is extremely useful for
14 systems without permanent internet connection, is only
15 implemented inconsistently by using environment variables,
16 differently for each vcs:
17 cvs: CVS_OFFLINE or CVS_OFFLINE_package_name
18 git: EGIT_OFFLINE or ESCM_OFFLINE
19 svn: ESVN_OFFLINE or ESCM_OFFLINE
20 ???: Perhaps not implemented at all?
21
22 Then it would also make sense that @live-ebuilds consists
23 only of those packages for which the live USE-flag is
24 actually set (because the user does not want to treat them
25 as "live").