From: Willem van den Ende <gentoo@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] hpijs-1.2.2-r2 not working
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 13:31:13
1 Peter,
2
3 I was having the same problem you have just yesterday (tried KDE and CUPS
4 web-interface only showed CUPS+GIMP drivers). The gentoo printing howto
5 (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/printing-howto.html) says to first run foomatic
6 and after that cups (using the same name for the queue - lp in my case). For
7 me that didn't work.... as I found out, when running CUPS web-server it will
8 _replace_ the foomatic created ppd file which I copied to
9 /etc/cups/ppd/lp.ppd. The first page of this file should contain the name of
10 the
11 driver used:
12
13 ---
14 *NickName: "HP PhotoSmart P1218, Foomatic + hpijs"
15 ---
16
17 after running cups this line said CUPS+GIMP (this is the line CUPS show you
18 when adding the printer) instead of hpijs.
19
20 My solution was to mv the foomatic generated file _again_ after having told
21 CUPS that I had a printer 'lp' with the CUPS+GIMPS driver (through the
22 web-interface, KDE didn't really help).
23
24 If you reload the cups admin web-page it will now hopefully show you the hpijs
25 printer, with the NickName as in your foomatic generated file. (I don't know
26 if you have to restart cups to get this effect).
27
28 hope this helps,
29
30 Willem van den Ende.