From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] problems with new install
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:11:23
1 On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 10:40:47PM -0500, Ben Lutgens wrote:
2
3 > >Hey! A www.sistina.com (LVM) person trying Gentoo Linux! Thanks ;)
4 >
5 > That's right. I am sistina's Senior Sysadmin. :-)
6
7 Nice to meet you :)
8
9 > >Did you extract the tarball using the "p" option? -->
10 >
11 > Doh! Ooops.
12
13 daemontools is very picky about directory permissions, so that's why your syslog
14 was fried. It's easy to forget the "p" option since it's normally not used when
15 extracting your typical source tarball.
16
17 > Which one, I'll try using vipw and vigr and try to login but I don't think
18 > it'll let me, something in pam's busted for sure. I you can post a fix on the
19 > website (A FAQ question?) that would be great.
20
21 Unfortunately, I don't think you have "vi" at this point. Try grabbing the
22 portage tree from your non-chrooted system, and then copy it to /usr/portage
23 under your chrooted system. Then, add the CFLAGS that you want to
24 /etc/make.conf and then one quick hack -- copy wget from your real system to
25 /usr/bin on your Gentoo Linux system. We forgot to add that to build.tbz2.
26 Then, create the /etc/resolv.conf and hosts files, and wget should then be
27 able to download from the chrooted environment. At this point, Portage is
28 ready for use.
29
30 You're ready to merge gcc, binutils, flex and all that good stuff (look for
31 Achim's previous email for what needs to be remerged). Use the emerge program:
32
33 # emerge foo-1.0.ebuild
34
35 To see what *would* be merged (without actually merging), use the --pretend option:
36
37 # emerge --pretend foo-1.0.ebuild
38
39 After merging the essentials (gcc, binutils, flex), make sure you merge the new
40 1.5 version of Portage in sys-apps.
41
42 Then, to install all essential packages on your system, type:
43
44 # emerge system
45
46 This will cause everything in /usr/portage/sys-* to be merged automatically -- and
47 in the proper order. Nearly everything (if not everything) should compile cleanly,
48 though you may have a few problems since Achim is in the middle of upgrading to a
49 new readline on CVS. Let us know your progress and we'll try to resolve any problems
50 you have.
51
52 After "emerge system" completes successfully, you should have a complete base Gentoo
53 Linux system.
54
55 > Well, I rather like the fact that it's mostly hands-on stuff, and if I can get
56 > the authentication thing straight I can hack the rest of it.
57 >
58 > Ports man, I love it. Finally a distro with ports.
59
60 you should be able to simply rename /etc/pam.d/userpadd to useradd, and things should
61 work.
62
63 Best Regards,
66 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>