From: Dan Meltzer <parallelgrapefruit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bugzilla handling for maintainer-wanted things
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:06:15
1 This time I'll say something useful :)
2
3 Nathan, you seem to be misunderstanding open source. You get the "I
4 can ask for features or suggest things" part, but not that "I can add
5 features or do things part". No one is stopping you, or me, or an
6 average joe, or George W. Bush, from "peer reviewing". You can see
7 the basic things that are commonly wrong by looking at a few
8 "resolved""wontfix" bugs with ciaranm as the commenter. Most make the
9 same mistakes. After seeing this, what is to stop you from either
10 manually looking through the tree, or writing a script to check for
11 you, and fixing some of the problems, submitting them as bugs when
12 they are fixed. I cannot imagine any developer would say no to a
13 well written ebuild, they may wait for a version bump to switch to it,
14 but they most likely would not ignore it all together.
15
16 Hell, maybe if you do a good enough job, and show enough devotion, the
17 gentoo guru's will even think about making you a developer in charge
18 of fixing those things. who knows?
19