From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are "Copyright 1999-20xx Gentoo Foundation" headers bogus?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 23:27:59
1 On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
2 >> I think you could make an argument that voluntarily placing that
3 >> header on your work is an assignment of copyright.
4 >
5 > I very much doubt that.
8 Well, like I said you can argue it either way. Everybody is going to
9 have an opinion, but the only ones that matter are those of the
10 various top-level courts internationally, especially the US Supreme
11 Court (since US law tends to get enforced extra-judicially).
14 > And I see absolutely no harm in explicitly annotating the actual
15 > copyright in gentoo ebuilds.
18 Well, depending on how this is done the main harm is in administrative
19 overhead, unless this is automated, or we use a simplistic approach of
20 just continuing to append names.
23 Rich