From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ML changes
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:33:02
1 On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 00:55 +0200, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > Mike Doty wrote:
3 > > We're going to change the -dev mailing list from completely open to where
4 > > only devs can post,
5 >
6 > Restricting freedom to post is like setting up surveilance and censorship
7 > against terrorism.
8
9 No, it is nothing like it. Removing the right to speak, which is
10 granted solely and absolutely by Gentoo, is nothing like surveillance
11 and censorship on citizens of a country that explicitly allows free
12 speech.
13
14 > I hate it when the "rulers" think they can impose such decisions upon the
15 > people and do not see how they obviously impact their freedom.
16
17 What "freedom" are you talking about? This is Gentoo, not some
18 fictional country. The only "rights" people are given with regards to
19 Gentoo are the rights given to them by the licenses under which our
20 software is distributed and the rules under which we govern ourselves.
21 We have *no* rule *anywhere* guaranteeing freedom of speech to *anyone*
22 and shouldn't be compared to a country's laws which explicitly *does*
23 grant that right. Remember that we do *not* grant free speech. The
24 freedom to speak on official Gentoo media is a privilege, not a right,
25 and it is a privilege that can be revoked.
26
27 > If it is only against a single User who has done something bad, but against
28 > all users in general, you are crazy ..
29
30 Yes, because rules should never be enforced in a fair and equal manner
31 against everyone. Instead, they should have special cases and be
32 enforced differently for each person. Even better would be to allow the
33 rich or popular to completely circumvent any rules put in place. That
34 makes so much more sense than writing out a simple set of rules or
35 guidelines and applying them unilaterally. Call me crazy, but... oh
36 wait, you did. Nevermind... ;]
39 Chris Gianelloni
40 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
41 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
42 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
43 Gentoo Foundation