From: Benjamin Judas <benjamin.judas@×××.de>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Webbased Portage - WebPortage-0.1 alpha1
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:04:02
1 Hi folks,
2
3 I withdrawed from my original idea in using Apache itself as the
4 CGI-Platform for WebPortage and implemented a small webserver in Python.
5 It simply does nothing as calling index.html in the actual directory and
6 handle all traffic.
7
8 I did this since:
9
10 1.
11 The CGI'fied portage scripts have to run as a privileged user - this can
12 be realized by making one little change to CGIHTTPServer.py (included in
13 the Python-Distribution)
14
15 2.
16 There would be no need to install Apache. WebPortage only needs Python
17 which is needed by Portage and thus installed on every Gentoo-System.
18
19 If you want to try it, simply decompress the .tar.bz2-File and run the
20 server with: python server.py. The server will listen on Port 8001 (see
21 source-code of server.py) on localhost.
22
23 Remember, there's no authentification at the moment. If you start it
24 everybody can access your lokal portage using a simple web-browser.
25 Please be careful when trying it.
26
27 In this version you can do only two things : searching for packages and
28 syncing portage tree. The output of emerge sync still needs to be
29 beautified and there is no output until wpsync.py (the CGI-script
30 responsible for syncing) is completely done, so it's possible that your
31 browser is saying "Transferring data from localhost..." for 10 Minutes
32 ;) This will be fixed somewhere in the future.
33
34 The tar.bz2 File is available here:
35 www.judas-merlau.de/downloads/webportage-0.1-alpha1.tar.bz2
36
37 Feedback is Welcome :)
38
39 Regards
40 Benjamin "beejay" Judas
41 --
42 GPG-Public-Key:
43 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC31DEDD8
44
45 Key-Fingerprint:
46 4E65 AAFE 785B 61D8 E4D9 1671 E017 87B7 C31D EDD8
47
48 ICQ: 239829549
49 Jabber:beejay@×××××××××.de