From: James Yonan <jim@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Init Scripts
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:11:50
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm new to Gentoo and I'm trying to convert the RedHat init script for OpenVPN
4 over to Gentoo's format. Though I'm still learning the Gentoo way of writing
5 init scripts, I would like to suggest the following additions to runscript.sh:
6
7 (1) There should be an easy-to-call support function so an init script can
8 tell whether or not it has been started such as:
9
10 started() {
11 if [ -L "${svcdir}/started/${myservice}" ]; then
12 return 1
13 else
14 return 0
15 fi
16 }
17
18 This way, init scripts can easily tell if they are loaded, prior to doing
19 things like sending signals to daemons.
20
21 (2) Condrestart is a useful init script method, often seen in RH init scripts.
22 It basically says "restart only if service is already running". It is
23 commonly used to restart a daemon after a software update. OpenVPN needs it
24 so that the VPN daemon can be restarted if a network adaptor gets a new IP
25 address from a DHCP server. In cases like these, you obviously don't want to
26 restart the daemon unless it is already running. Condrestart becomes
27 breathtakingly simple if started() above is defined:
28
29 condrestart() {
30 started || restart
31 }
32
33 If there are better ways of doing these things in Gentoo, please let me know.
34 Otherwise, I can send a formal patch of my changes to runscript.sh
35
36 Thanks,
37
38 James Yonan