From: Kalen Petersen <kalenp@×××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] use of libGL from X11 distribution or Mesa
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 23:57:52
1 good day all
2
3 I have recently had some run arounds trying to get my hardware accelerated video working on my gentoo linux box. The end result leading me to the question:
4
5 Why is the libGL.so provided by XFree86 not used by default?
6
7 In the ebuild for xfree, the symlinks from /usr/lib to /usr/X11R6/lib are removed before installation. This leaves open the space for an independantly installed Mesa to sit in /usr/lib and take precedence over the libraries provided by xfree. As I have discovered, these libraries do not provide the same functionality. grepping through the libraries shows that the libGL provided by xfree has DRI capabilities while that provided by Mesa does not.
8 A bug has been filed for this as 225 on bugs.gentoo.org.
9 Any input on the reasoning behind this would be much appreciated. As it now stands, I will try unmergeing all versions of mesa, merging the newest xfree, and then recompiling any apps that are looking for libGL.so in /usr/lib and see if they pick them up in /usr/X11R6/lib.
10
11 Thank you for your help.
12
13 --Kalen Petersen