From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fonts, Xfree, Linux
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 13:19:17
1 On Fri, 30 May 2003 15:03:39 +0200
2 Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no> wrote:
3
4 > if a working tool exists, is it really worth rewriting the tool just
5 > to remove popt as a dependency? actually, to me it seems that
6 > you're removing popt and adding perl as a dependency. :-)
7
8 The xfree ebuild as it currently stands has perl as a dependency for the font generation stuff anyway, so it is not adding anything new.
11 > > So the idea he and I discussed was to have this utility (or set of
12 > > utilities) to update the fontpaths in /etc/X11/fs/config as well as
13 > > /etc/X11/XF86Config (IF the font path is other than unix:/7100 in
14 > > that file).
15 >
16 > is this something chkfontpath already does, or something
17 > Gentoo-specific and new?
18
19 The latter.
20
21 > [ ... ]
22 >
23 > now, as for policy... when you install a font, you probably want it
24 > to be available for X. then again, it's sort of the same thing with
25 > a daemon, and rc-update. a common behavior is a good thing, even if
26 > it requires some monotonous user action every time. as long as the
27 > behavior is well documented, I don't see a big problem it.
28
29 More or less agree with this.
32 > --
33 > Terje
34 >
35 > --
36 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
42 Seemant Kulleen
43 Developer and Project Co-ordinator,
44 Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~seemant
45
46 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3458780E
47 Key fingerprint = 23A9 7CB5 9BBB 4F8D 549B 6593 EDA2 65D8 3458 780E