From: "A. Craig West" <acwest-gentoo-dev@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mixing Gentoo in other distro... - Real dependency
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 21:26:06
1 On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Yannick Koehler wrote:
2
3 > I was insanely thinking about what would it take to make portage works in
4 > other distro. One of the obvious thing is the fact that portage dependencies
5 > is based on other portage package instead of installed files.
6 >
7 > Is there any plans to have those actually change to the real dependency that
8 > package does require. Also, because most project are using configure and
9 > makefiles, wouldn't there be a way to automatically generate the dependency
10 > when such build mechanism is used?
11 >
12 > I could write a script which would parse source files and extract system
13 > includes and other libraries but isn't there already tools that does that
14 > such as autoscan which generate configure script based on your sources?
15
16 The one tool that helps a lot for using portage with other distros is
17 'emerge inject'. What would be nice is a way to scripts to automatically
18 inject as much as possible based on installed libraries, or possibly one that
19 understands the other distros dependency system and converts it. It should be
20 possible to map quite a bit of the portage tree to various RPMs, for example.
23 Craig West Ph: (416) 567-1491 | It's not a bug,
24 acwest-sig@×××××××××.net | It's a feature...
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list