From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: ICC Profile
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:32:40
1 Branko Badrljica wrote:
2 > BTW: Is ICC really worth the fuss ?
3 > I have checked around and reported that newest gcc-4.3 is able to to
4 > catch and sometimes even outperform icc ( not always, naturally).
5 >
6 > Big news seemed to be thatnew gcc si close and sometimes better than icc.
7 >
8 > Is it any truth to that and if it is, what is the motive of having
9 > non-open icc option ?
10
11 The programs where I care about speed the most are gzip, bzip2, oggenc,
12 lame, x264... I guess you get the "pattern", they're
13 encoders/compressors. ICC wins in every one of them (speed increase is
14 quite dramatic in the case of gzip and bzip2; 20% to 30%). GCC won with
15 diffutils though; 2% faster than ICC.
16
17 Testing other tools is difficult; how do you measure if X is faster with
18 ICC? Or KDE? (If it even compiles with ICC; didnt' test.)
19
20 There's the issue of bugs though; programs break even with different
21 versions of GCC (see Thunderbird; it breaks when compiled with *any*
22 form of optimization turned on with GCC 4.3. See bugs 223375 and
23 217805). Who knows what breakage can occur with ICC. The vast majority
24 of projects out there are developed and tested only on GCC systems.
25
26 Then there's the show stopper #1 bug: every C++ source file that has an
27 #include <limits.h> refuses to compile with ICC (at least on my system;
28 AMD64). Intel responds with "use RedHat where it works, we don't
29 support Gentoo." Supporting ICC in Gentoo is probably going to be too
30 difficult if Intel refuses to even try to fix bugs that don't show up in
31 RedHad and Novell's "enterprise" SUSE.
34 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list