From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [GEP] overoptimizations superbug
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:31:06
1 Hi,
2
3 this is a follow up to the CFLAGS discussion on this list (Genflags
4 announcement) and some things i ran into lately.
5
6 Recently i ran into quite a large number of bugs involving optimizations
7 beyond sensible defaults causing certain applications to not build or
8 show weird behaviour. I want to create a superbug to duplicate the
9 reports to, much like the gcc non-reproducable compile failures bug we
10 have. It would contain a fairly comprehensive explanation as to why we
11 cannot handle these bugs, but that would be the end of the quest for us.
12
13 There are certain platforms with certain specific CFLAGS (usually not
14 the most conservative ones) with specific compilers on specific CPUs
15 that cause problems. Although we could strip these flags away it is i
16 think not up to the ebuild to fix that. We give the users the ability to
17 set optimization levels, but it is up to them to handle those in a
18 sensible way and resolve related problems (or just lower their
19 optimizations). We give the power, but we also give part of the
20 responsibility to the user. I for one do not feel like 'fixing' these
21 bugs, although i will judge them on a case by case basis as they appear.
22
23 - foser
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list