From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [GEP] overoptimizations superbug
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:31:06
Hi,

this is a follow up to the CFLAGS discussion on this list (Genflags
announcement) and some things i ran into lately.

Recently i ran into quite a large number of bugs involving optimizations
beyond sensible defaults causing certain applications to not build or
show weird behaviour. I want to create a superbug to duplicate the
reports to, much like the gcc non-reproducable compile failures bug we
have. It would contain a fairly comprehensive explanation as to why we
cannot handle these bugs, but that would be the end of the quest for us.

There are certain platforms with certain specific CFLAGS (usually not
the most conservative ones) with specific compilers on specific CPUs
that cause problems. Although we could strip these flags away it is i
think not up to the ebuild to fix that. We give the users the ability to
set optimization levels, but it is up to them to handle those in a
sensible way and resolve related problems (or just lower their
optimizations). We give the power, but we also give part of the
responsibility to the user. I for one do not feel like 'fixing' these
bugs, although i will judge them on a case by case basis as they appear.

- foser