From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: /etc/hostname on gentoo
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 15:50:24
1 On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 7:42 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 08/24/2016 07:37 AM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I imagine _someone_ out there wants it, otherwise we wouldn't be
5 >> discussing it.
6 >
7 > The thread started out proposing it as a solution to a docker problem
8 > that, it turns out, isn't a problem. Why are we still trying to fixing
9 > something that isn't broken? Maybe I'm losing it, but nowhere in the
12 You're right that the orignal purpose of the change has been debunked.
13
14 So, starting over: one real benefit would be cross-compatibility with
15 systemd. It's one less thing people would need to reconfigure when
16 migrating to/from openrc.
17
18 And before anyone starts an argument about it, I don't care what your
19 opinion on systemd is. I'm just throwing this out there as an actual
20 benefit of adding support for /etc/hostname to openrc.