From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and subproject status
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:53:14
1 About portage:
2
3 Current status:
4 The portage project is mostly fine, though we've missed my original
5 plan to release the first 2.2 test versions last year, mostly because
6 of lack of time on my part. I hope we can fix that within the next two
7 or three months.
8 As Paul has already mentioned, the tools-portage subproject definitely
9 needs more people, or we may just dissolve it completely (it has been a
10 one man show for some time already). Some people to help with
11 (technical) documentation would also be useful (manpages, docbook
12 stuff, ...)
13
14 Plans:
15 - release test versions of portage-2.2, see how all the new stuff works
16 in practice and adjust things if necessary
17 - help to fix external tools (including gentoolkit) and documentation to
18 fully support portage-2.2
19 - some ideas for the time after 2.2:
20 * merge gentoolkit into portage
21 * redesign some of the old APIs (dbapi, config) and implement new
22 ones (query framework)
23 * replace revdep-rebuild with a package set
24 * implement a new installed-package database
25 * new dep resolver (as always ;)
26 * new user interface(s)
27 * ...
28