From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: axs@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: stabilization policies
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 14:57:05
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:27:51 -0400
5 Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
6
8 > Hash: SHA256
9 >
10 > On 21/08/13 08:36 AM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
11 > >
12 > > Given the kernel volume, I think even CVE's don't cover
13 > > everything...
16 > Kernel is really a special case here, imo -- emerge doesn't install
17 > kernels, it just provides their sources. End-users still need to
18 > build the kernel to use them and I expect there are plenty that don't,
19 > at least, not as soon as the sources are installed. And really,
20 > portage is just providing kernel sources for convenience; anybody can
21 > download a kernel by hand, extract it to /usr/src, and build it with
22 > no ill effect on portage or the rest of their system.
23
24 That doesn't make it a special case here, imo; especially not, since
25 we are designing and implementing ebuilds that _build_ the kernel.
26 Whether it provides the sources, or build it; what does that matter?
27
28 We're talking here in terms of Gentoo QA and Stability; so, other
29 people building the kernel on their own (which you could do with most
30 packages in the tree, just install it to /usr/local or something), has
31 nothing at all to do with this entire thread.
32
33 I don't understand what you try to say with that paragraph.
34
35 > That's not to say that gentoo-sources shouldn't follow the regular
36 > overall stabilization policies, but focusing on the kernel as the
37 > impetus for adjusting the stabilization policy or pointing out what's
38 > wrong with the policy as a whole seems to be a bad use-case for this
39 > discussion.
40
41 It's a good example to demonstrate bit rot due to lack of manpower,
42 that's it sole intention; don't assume it as an example for change of
43 policies, that's not what's being shown here. And for a change in
44 policies proper statistics would be the least a person should base on.
45
46 The sub thread, to clarify some matters, is indeed long enough as it is;
47 and at some point we should have probably switched to gentoo-kernel ML.
48
49 - --
50 With kind regards,
51
52 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
53 Gentoo Developer
54
55 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
56 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
57 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D